BCCA has signed on to the 50/30 Challenge. And we think that you should too!
What is the 50/30 Challenge?
The 50 – 30 Challenge is an initiative between the Government of Canada, Canadian businesses, and diversity organizations.
The goal of the program is to challenge Canadian organizations to increase the representation and inclusion of diverse groups within their workplaces.
The “50/30” refers to:
- Gender parity (50% women and/or non-binary people) on Canadian boards and/or in senior management; and
- Significant representation (30%) on Canadian boards and/or senior management of members of other equity-deserving groups. These include those who identify as Racialized, Black, and/or People of colour (“Visible Minorities”), People with disabilities (including invisible and episodic disabilities), 2SLGBTQ+ and/or gender and sexually diverse individuals, and Aboriginal and/or Indigenous Peoples. The program and participants recognize Indigenous Peoples, including First Nations, Métis and Inuit, as founding Peoples of Canada and underrepresented in positions of economic influence and leadership.
Why should I join?
By joining the challenge, participants will have access to programming, peer-to-peer mentorship, and shared resources such as policy templates and processes. BC Co-op Association is a Delivery Partner with Women’s Economic Council, and we are focusing on co-creating resources and supports that are relevant to co-operatives. The key intention and responsibility of signing on to the Challenge is to build processes and diversifying practices that support succession planning rooted in equity and inclusion. The guiding objective is reaching gender parity and meaningful representation from equity-deserving groups. Co-operatives have a solid foundation to work from with internationally shared co-operative values and principles. We look forward to implementing them together through the lens of justice, equity, diversity, decolonization and accessibility.
Resources to Access:
- Bi-monthly JEDDI in Co-ops Community of Practice with asynchronous conversations between sessions using Telegram. Next Community of Practice is on January 26, noon – 1:30 MST
- Monthly newsletter
- What Works Toolkit with co-op customized tools
- Leadership training designed for equity-deserving groups
Sign up for the 50 – 30 Challenge in 2 Steps:
2. Email Michelle, Strategic Convener and Organizer, at email@example.com, to let her know that you’re in! You will be added to a JEDDI in Co-ops mailing list to receive updates, resources, and event announcements.